So dust off those driving skills and review these important back to school tips (and pay attention class – there may be a quiz on this)
Tips for Drivers:
- There will be more traffic on the roads and busier busses starting this week. Give yourself some extra time for your commute just in case.
- Slow down and pay extra attention in school zones. Even though kids may dread going back to school – most of them are over the moon to see their friends again, so much so that they may forget the rules of the road. Be their extra eyes and ears out there. Thanks.
Tips for Parents:
- Review the rules of the road with your children (as pedestrians and cyclists). Map out your child’s walking (or cycling) route to school ahead of time, so they know exactly where to go on their first day.
Tips for Kids:
- Keep your eyes and ears open! This means no headphones or devices while you are walking to or from school. Watch where you are going and listen for traffic.
- Don’t assume that cars will stop for you. Make eye contact with drivers BEFORE you step into the intersection. Pay attention the entire time you use the crosswalk. Thanks.
Tips for Teachers:
- Get the scoop on an important road safety lessons you can teach in the classroom. ICBC has prepared road safety teaching resources for you free of charge.
For more back to school tips from TranBC, follow the link: